Bacon, bacon, everybody loves bacon! Well...to be perfectly honest...up until I made this dish I wasn't a huge fan. I didn't exactly hate it, but I wasn't head over heels in love with it either. I just never understood what all the fuss was about. Maybe that's because most of my bacon eating experiences over the years consisted of fresh out of the microwave pieces of greasy or dried up bacon slices. But this combination of pasta, cheese, chicken, eggs and you guessed it - bacon - has changed me into a true believer. And I know, that all sounds super healthy, but it can't be that bad if it's from Cooking Light...right? Even if I eat a heaping plateful of it...? :)
Oh there's the healthy twist - asparagus! Which was actually a very yummy addition. Plain asparagus is an okay side dish but not one that I get real excited about, but the cheese and bacon flavors with it in this dish really jazzed it up to the next level. I'm glad I was so lazy and tired earlier in the week that I picked up a rotisserie chicken and got to make this with the leftovers. There was nothing leftover tasting about it.
Quick & Dirty
- Used two real eggs instead of an egg substitute
- Used a white cooking wine instead of vermouth
- Cooked the onion and then everything else in the same pan as the bacon (after removing the bacon) to soak up all that great bacon juice - probably not recommended by CL but I think it's what made the dish so delish
- The combination of asparagus, chicken, cheese, and bacon all in one bite was fantastic
- This is one of the first dishes where I must say the pieces of parsley really helped lighten and freshen things up
- Made Jimmbo's Garlic Knots from AR to serve alongside which complemented the dish beautifully
- Made a little too much pasta...the asparagus to chicken to pasta ratio could've been better
- I think I added the egg mixture a little too quickly to the hot pan because I did end up with a little bit of a scrambled egg affect instead of a creamy sauce
- Very sadly I had to throw almost half of it down the garbage disposal because I didn't finish it all before leaving for a week for Christmas and was scared of it when I got back. For some reason I didn't think it would freeze well, but next time I will try this since I can't think of anything worse happening than having to toss it out again.