Sunday, May 9, 2010

Mom's Stroganoff

What's more appropriate for Mother's Day than a recipe that was passed down from my grandma to my mom to me?  My grandma could whip this together from memory so my mom made her write it down.  My mom made her own changes and this is the version she gave me last time I asked for it.  I've made it a couple times now, so maybe it's my turn to put a twist or two on it!  Although it's already a five star dish just the way it is.  Thanks Mom!

Beef Stroganoff

1 1/2 lbs round steak
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 cups beef broth
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 small can sliced mushrooms
1 can Cream of Mushroom soup
16 oz sour cream
3 tbsp cornstarch
Salt
Wide egg noodles

Brown steak and onion in vegetable oil
Once meat is browned add beef broth
Stir in mushrooms and Worcestershire sauce and dash of salt
Simmer for at least 2 hours

When meat is tender and ready to eat:
Cook and drain noodles
Stir in Cream of Mushroom soup and sour cream to beef mixture
Dissolve cornstarch in 1/4 cup cold water
When beef mixture starts to boil, add cornstarch water to thicken the liquid

No comments: